Thursday, August 19, 2010

Road Trip!


Ah....those lazy hazy summer days....Do you remember when your parents used to take you on road trips? How excited you would get to jump into the car and get away from it all? (like YOU really had stress!) Every summer my parents would pack me and my brothers up and head to North Carolina to visit my grandma. (Dad's mom). I felt like we were gone ALL summer, my parents would stay with us for a couple of days then be gone! I loved the little town my dad grew up in (Ayden, next to Greenville) I thought I was big stuff coming from New Jersey (yah know a suburb of New York) all of my cousins were in awe of me as I spoke of The City and all the places I had seen. So now its my turn to take my kids on their summer vacation which would be back to Jersey! I wanted my kids to experience a good old fashioned road trip full of singing, finding license plates from different states, and really getting to know each other.We were excited to wake up in the middle of the night and jump in the car and ride! We woke up, jumped in the car and it didn't start! What!!!!! This was not the way to start our vacation. While we were cleaning the car out the day before, we left a light on which killed the battery. So now we are sitting in the car at four o'clock in the morning wondering what to do." How come we aren't driving?" " The battery is dead." " I'm hungry." " How did it die?"" We left something on."I then called Triple A which took two and a half hours to get to my house. " I couldn't find it." One word GPS. Triple A gets us going and off we go! Well I can see why riding in the car for eight or more hours my parents were ready to turn right around and go back home without us! I packed all of our favorite snacks, drinks, books and games and it still wasn't enough to keep them from annoying me! "Are we there yet?" "Why are you awake, go back to sleep!" " I'm hungry." " Its four o'clock in the morning, you don't usually eat at this time and your not now!""Mom can you read this to me?" " I'm driving."" What about this?" Okay this is a joke right? "Mommy has to pay attention to the car and drive." " Oh Okay." I don't know how my parents didn't run the car off the road with us in it, or drug us to sleep because I know we were just as bad. Well we finally made it to New Jersey, I stayed for a couple and days then me and Auntie Dawn were out! We had a date with some Ques, The Omega Psi Phi Conclave was being held in Raleigh N.C. and we were going to have some fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment