Thursday, April 29, 2010

Becoming a healthier me!



Hey Pooka family! Its that time of year where I start thinking about my weight. The holidays are long gone so there's no more excuses for me about indulgence. Summer is right around the corner so now I need to focus on healthy eating. I've never been a fan of those fad diets because I'm a foodie...I like to cook, bake and eat. And I've never been one to deprive myself. For me moderation is a lot easier than giving things up cold turkey. Unfortunately, I didn't stick to that mantra a month ago when I was over-indulging in Thin Mint Girl Scout cookies, but that was then, this is now! My goal beginning May 1st is to reduce my white intake. White flour, white sugar, white rice, white pasta. After seeing Dr. Oz this morning and learning that so many Americans are borderline diabetic because of our belly fat; my goal is to reduce that statistic for myself. I learned today the calculation for a healthy waistline: take your height and divide in half. So I'm going all out and sharing with you what my waist should be, I'm about 5'3" so 5X12+3=63÷2=31.5 My waistline should be 31.5" By May 31st my goal is to get as close to that waist size as I can. I'm going to measure my waist to see how far I have to go. I estimate I'll have about 10 inches to lose, but I'm determine to get to my goal! Who's with me! I won't get there by giving up the white's alone. I've already started excercising so that will help and I'm going to start back walking in the park on Sundays after church like I did before Taiye was born. This time I'll just be pushing her in the stroller. Join me Pooka family in reducing the diabetic statistic and becoming a healthier you!

1 comment:

  1. I'm all in! And to think I'd just taken the white rice out of the cabinet to finish cooking dinner. Off to the store for some brown rice!

    ReplyDelete