Monday, February 25, 2008

Adventures Are Waiting... In A Book!!


Greetings People!

I must leave the culinary world for one moment to enter the literary one. I heard an interesting statement this week that said most adults have not read a book in over a year... are they kidding?! That is too impossible for me to believe. Reading is one of my favorite pastimes. My Pooka sister April shares this passion and proclaims herself the world's best reader!! I hope to one day take her title!! Nothing is better than the imagination. The book beats the movie every time!!

I have to thank Helen and Howard for instilling in us Pookalitas, my brother Douglas too!, how important education, learning and reading are. I have such fond memories as a child of my Mom taking us to the library!! We each had a card and were so excited for adventures we were going to have through the books we read. There is nothing like opening that first page and reading the first line of a book. Does anybody know what I am taking about?!!

I would like to share some of my favorites. I have a lot but these come to mind first: Nelson DeMille - Charm School, Jill Nelson - Volunteer Slavery (loved that!!), Jamaica Kincaid - Annie John, Ralph Ellison - Invisible Man, Toni Morrison - Beloved -OH MY GOD- either you got that or you didn't, anything by James Patterson or Dean Koontz is also an entertaining read. Sometimes I have my romance phase and other times my, I-have-been-out-of-school-and-need-to-learn-something phase.

I am currently reading Suze Orman, Woman & Money. EVERY woman must read this book. It's about having financial security not just for yourself but your family as well. If you open an Ameritrade account by 3/31/08 you will receive $100 at the end of the term because you read the book. Talk about active learning!! I have just given some of you your birthday present!!

Anyway, my point is to make reading a part of your being. You can even enjoy a delicious snack while you read!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment