Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Scout Dawn!

Hi Pooka Family!!! This weekend I was asked to be a Keynote speaker for the Girl Scouts! I was quite honored and began working on my speech, “What am I going to say to motivate these young ladies, how can I share some inspiration?!” Well let me tell you, when I got there and met them, the tables turned! They motivated and inspired me! The girls were receiving the Girl Scout Gold Award, which is the highest award given by the Girl Scouts. In order to receive the award each girl scout has to choose an issue thats important to them and investigate and research everything about that issue. Then they have to get help and support from others and create a plan to achieve a measurable impact. Once they present their plan to the GScout council, they have to take action and carry out the plan, educate and inspire others and share the experience. This is no weekend report, these young ladies work on their projects for 2-3 years! I also learned that A Girl Scout who has earned her Gold Award immediately rises one rank in any of the U.S. military branches. The projects these young ladies presented were amazing and I realized that these were our future leaders and innovators! When the time came, they announced me and I gave my Pooka speech and it was well received. They were happy to learn about Pooka and our story and congratulated me on the success. After my speech, I had my “AHA” teary -eyed moment, when one of the African American Girl scouts approached me and said, “Can I have a picture? because when I see you I see me?” OMG, why must you make me cry little Girl Scout!!! I was so proud and I think she was too! We have to remember our young ladies need to see us doing all of the positive things that we do! We are all role models and at that moment I was so glad that I was there for her to see! During my speech, they were laughing and clapping for me and I got so caught up in the moment that I announced to the entire group that I was going to become...... a Girl Scout!!!! Now, when we were young, Donna and I were brownies, no pun intended, but then we........dropped out. So although I may be the biggest girl in the Girl Scouts Daisy troop, I don’t care, I’m gonna do it!!! And If you come to the Pooka boutique and I’m trying to make a fire or tie some knots, just nod your head and keep it moving, Scout Dawn is on the move!

No comments:

Post a Comment