Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Celebrate Earth Day!


On April 22, 1970, 20 million people across America celebrated the first Earth Day. It was a time when cities were buried under their own smog and polluted rivers caught fire. Now Earth Day is celebrated annually around the globe.

Through the combined efforts of the U.S. government, grassroots organizations, and citizens like us (well, really our parents and our grandparents because we were really just babes at that point), what started as a day of national environmental recognition has evolved into a world-wide campaign to protect our global environment.

There are lots of things that you can do at home, at school, in your community and at work that can make a difference. I personally plan on NOT buying any more paper plates (Yes, I have been known as the PPQ) but you know I have to wash dishes anyway, a few more plates shouldn't t hurt me. I am also going to buy myself a large glass container and carry water around in that instead of buying plastic bottles of water every day (or if we finish eating the jelly first I'll just use that instead :0) and I'm going to learn how to use a sewing machine so I can make clothes for me and the kids... OKAY, Okay that is so NOT going to happen!

The point is to just TRY to do something so we can leave our kids with a better tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment