Thursday, October 25, 2012

Girls will be Girls!!

Morning Pooka Family! As a mother of a 3 year old girl, I am learning quickly how we as woman develop our female relationships. Yesterday when I picked Taiye up from school she paused from eating her Goldfish and said, “Mommy, can I talk to you?” (I was amazed by that statement alone!). “Sure Baby” I said. She proceeded to tell me that Clara’s not her best friend anymore, she’s Maggie’s best friend. Of course, I was at a lost of words, I mean how do you start the conversation about female friendships to a 3 year old? I thought about this quickly then explained to her that I’m sure Clara is still your best friend. And Maggie is your friend and Abby. I told her that she will have a lot of friends in her life as she gets older and as long as Clara is nice to you and you are nice to her and everyone else is nice to you then they will continue to be your friend. In hindsight, I think my response was good but it just made me realize that these situations are going to start coming up quicker than I expected. As a mother I really need to be mindful that my response is positive, empathic and intelligent because the things I say now will be the foundation of what type of woman and friend she will grow up to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment