Wednesday, November 17, 2010

For Colored Girls…


Greetings Family! Well Dawn told you that we had a girl’s night to go see For Colored Girls when it opened a few weeks ago. I am still completely absorbed by the emotion of this beautiful, raw, honest, funny, intense, emotional, heart stopping and triumphant movie. My sisters…if you still have not seen it run don’t walk and take your girls with you. I must admit that I was a little nervous about seeing this movie. The book is always better than the movie in my opinion. Especially a book containing poems that jumped off the page and into your spirit. I tried not to read any reviews because I wanted to formulate my own opinion of how this work would play out on the big screen. I did read one review however that thought Tyler Perry would not give this most reverent book and play its due justice. I am here to tell you it is his best work yet family! It was truly awesome. I believe that he was able to bring these powerful words to a main stream audience, especially our younger sisters, who might not have otherwise been exposed to these stories of us. The words of Ntozake Shange flowed like liquid on the screen and they moved us from story to story, sometimes drowning us and sometimes washing us clean. Our stories are not always pretty. Sometimes our stories have pain that crosses from generation to generation. We may live in the pent house but we are not so high up that we can’t get hurt. But in the end we survive. We fight and laugh our way to the other side sisters! I am proud to be a Colored Girl because we are fierce and refuse to let anyone walk off with all our stuff!!
I love you Colored Girls!!

No comments:

Post a Comment